Winnekenni Castle is located in Haverhill, Massachusetts.
Friday, June 19, 2020
Thursday, June 18, 2020
Birnbeck Pier was opened in 1867.
Currently has been improvements, including boathouse, tranmway, lifeboart station from steamers.
Main building was fire damaged in 1897.
It was closed again in 1903.
After Grand Pier's Fun fair opened in 1933, Birnbeck was abandond, and in 1998 auction in Bristol asking price reported to be GBP50,000.
Wednesday, June 17, 2020
Monday, June 15, 2020
Sunday, June 14, 2020
Robert de Tilliol fabricated Scaleby Castle after 1307, close to the town of Scaleby, 6 miles (9.7 km) from Carlisle. The Tilliols were an entrenched family in the area from the rule of Henry I onwards, and Robert was given the land for the palace by Edward I and allowed the position to assemble a manor by Edward II. The underlying mansion included two arrangements of structures, connected by a little patio and ensured by a shade divider on the two sides, encompassed by a huge, roundabout, water-filled channel around 7.4 meters (24 ft) wide, and an internal canal, since generally destroyed.
The male Tilliol line vanished in 1435; the stronghold at that point passed by union with the Colville family. They remade a significant part of the château in the late fifteenth century, including renovating the pele tower, the extraordinary corridor and the passage, complete with a polygonal barbican. The pele tower shaped a generous fortress, around 40 feet (12 m) by 30 feet (9.1 m) over, with three stories and thick walls. The Musgrave family gained the manor and Sir Edward Musgrave reconstructed the south scope of the mansion in 1596.
In 1641, the English Civil War broke out between the Royalist supporters of Charles I and Parliament. Sir Edward's grandson, another Sir Edward Musgrave, was a solid Royalist supporter and announced for the king. In February 1645, Parliamentary powers blockading close by Carlisle likewise assaulted and in the end seized Scaleby Castle, causing impressive harm; Edward recuperated the mansion, yet in toward the beginning of the Second English Civil War in 1648 he again waged war in the interest of the king. This time the stronghold quickly tumbled to Parliamentary powers, who put a match to it.
Sir Edward was intensely owing debtors so he offered the stronghold after the war to Richard Gilpin, who reestablished the property c. 1800. The property stayed in the hand of the Gilpins until it fell into dilapidation; it was reestablished by and by Rowland Fawcett. In 1847 James Fawcett was occupant there.
Today the château is an evaluation I recorded structure and a planned monument. It is the seat of Oliver Eden, eighth Baron Henley.
Penrith Castle was worked somewhere in the range of 1399 and 1470 as a resistance against Scottish attacks; it has been said that, dissimilar to such a significant number of its partners in the north, 'the structure shows no sign of exceptionally antiquated date.' The lordship of Penrith was made in 1397 as an award to the recently made duke of Westmorland, however the manor was first referenced in an award of 1437. Recently accepted to have been first worked by William Strickland who later become Bishop of Carlisle, the delay of this reference, it has been recommended, shows that the most probable manufacturer was Richard Neville, Earl of Salisbury. In any case, it isn't known whether this was 'new work on a new site, or whether he essentially used Strickland's functions as the center of his building.' It is currently viewed as more probable that Strickland assembled Hutton Hall, close to the congregation in Penrith, rather, and moreover that a 'tenurial remaking shows that he didn't hold the mansion site.' There is a potential reference to a development in the site of the manor as right on time as 1412, and Ralph Neville is known to have allowed the structure of a pinnacle there, from his comital seat at Raby, the following year. Either way, it appears to be most far-fetched that 'it was manufactured not by a noble, yet by the occupants themselves, for their own barrier,' as was once stated.
Penrith palace in 1772.
The freedom and palace of Penrith turned into the most significant workplaces held by the Neville family in the fifteenth century, and their most significant wellspring of support locally. By 1441, Salisbury was sub-letting the lordship of Penrith to Lumley, religious administrator of Carlisle, until 1444, who was then Warden of the West March, and Professor A.J. Pollard has assessed that 'the Nevilles' Penrith domains were worth roughly £350.'
Following Salisbury's passing in 1460, Richard, Earl of Warwick, the 'Kingmaker,' acquired the Castle and Lordship, yet was himself killed at the Battle of Barnet without leaving a male beneficiary, so they returned to the crown. They were allowed in 1471 to Richard, Duke of Gloucester by King Edward IV, who utilized Penrith as a base while 'taking useful measures' against the Scots, and furthermore 'appreciated the incomes of the domains' of the Forest of Cumberland. It was while the duke was designated sheriff of Cumberland five back to back years, being depicted as 'of Penrith Castle' in 1478.
The manor was worked in the late twelfth century as the home of the Lancaster family who were Barons of Kendal. The most popular family connected with the château was the Parr family; including Queen Catherine Parr, the 6th spouse of King Henry VIII of England. Her family had inhabited Kendal since her progenitor Sir William Parr wedded the beneficiary of Kendal, Elizabeth Ros, during the rule of Edward III of England. When Catherine Parr was conceived, the family had since quite a while ago abandoned the manor which was at that point falling into dilapidation. Catherine's dad liked to live in the focal point of court in London. Sir Thomas' dad is by all accounts the remainder of the Parrs to have inhabited Kendal Castle. Queen Catherine Parr was once thought to have been conceived at the château; in any case, current examination has indicated that it was in extraordinary deterioration by the sixteenth century and she was in all probability conceived in Blackfriars, London.
Gleaston Castle is a medieval structure in a valley around 1 kilometer (0.62 mi) north-east of the town of Gleaston. The town lies between the towns of Ulverston and Barrow-in-Furness in the Furness landmass, Cumbria, England. Gleaston Castle has a quadrilateral arrangement, with a pinnacle at each corner. The biggest of these, the north-west pinnacle, most likely housed a corridor.
The palace was in all probability worked for John Harington, first Baron Harington in the fourteenth century, supplanting close by Aldingham Motte. Gleaston Castle plunged through the Harrington family until 1458 when it went to William Bonville through marriage and was along these lines surrendered. The manor went to the Gray family until Henry Gray, first Duke of Suffolk was executed for conspiracy in 1554. Subsequently, Gleaston Castle became illustrious property before it was purchased by the Preston family in the seventeenth century, and afterward went to the Cavendish family.
As the manor was neglected from the mid-fifteenth century it fell into decrepitude, and curator portrayals from the eighteenth century show Gleaston in a condition of ruin. Despite the fact that it isn't available to the general population, it has been the subject of authentic and archeological examination in the twentieth and 21st hundreds of years.
The château was initially worked as a sanctuary, in 1379, thought to be devoted to St Michael. Antiquarian William Worcester recorded that there were 32 mansions on the Cornish landmass, including Carn Brea which was depicted as a tower.
The mansion was widely modified in later periods, basically in the eighteenth century by the Basset family as a chasing lodge. It is viewed as an indiscretion, because of the gigantic whole rocks that make up some portion of its establishments, giving the impression of the structure softening into the land.
Its utilization as a guide for ships was recorded in 1898 when specified in the rent, the inhabitant consenting to show a light in the north-bound window. The stronghold had times of neglect and deterioration during the 1950s to 1970s, until private redesign in 1975-1980. The structure was classed by English Heritage as evaluation II recorded in 1975.
During the 1980s the structure was changed over into a Middle Eastern cooking restaurant.
Restormel was a piece of the fiefdom of the Norman tycoon Robert, Count of Mortain, situated inside the house of Bodardle in the area of Lanlivery. Restormel Castle was presumably initially worked after the Norman victory of England as a motte and bailey mansion around 1100 by Baldwin Fitz Turstin, the neighborhood sheriff. Baldwin's relatives kept on holding the estate as vassals and occupants of the Earls of Cornwall for almost 200 years.
Developed in an enormous deer park, the stronghold neglected the essential traverse the River Fowey, a key strategic location; it might have been initially planned for use as a chasing lodge just as a fortress, however.
The gatehouse of Restormel Castle
Robert de Cardinham, master of the house between 1192–1225, at that point developed the internal drapery dividers and changed over the gatehouse totally to stone, giving the manor its current design. The town of Lostwithiel was built up near the stronghold at around the equivalent time. The palace had a place with the Cardinhams for quite a while, who utilized it in inclination to their more seasoned château at Old Cardinham. Andrew de Cardinham's little girl, Isolda de Cardinham, at long last wedded Thomas de Tracey, who at that point claimed the stronghold until 1264.
The stronghold was seized in 1264 without battling by Simon de Montfort during the common clashes in the reign of Henry III, and was seized back thusly by the previous High Sheriff of Cornwall, Sir Ralph Arundell, in 1265. After some influence, Isolda de Cardinham allowed the mansion to Henry III's sibling, Richard of Cornwall in 1270. Richard passed on in 1271, and his child Edmund took over Restormel as his primary regulatory base, constructing the internal chambers to the château during his living arrangement there and naming it his "duchy palace". The manor in this period looked like a "little royal residence", with extravagant quarters and funneled water. It was home to stannary organization and directed the nearby, gainful tin-mines in the village.
St Michael's Mount (Cornish: Karrek Loos yn Koos, signifying "hoar stone in woodland") is a flowing island in Mount's Bay, Cornwall, England, United Kingdom. The island is a common area and is connected to the town of Marazion by a man-made boulevard of rock setts, acceptable between mid-tide and low water. It is overseen by the National Trust, and the manor and house of prayer have been the home of the St Aubyn family since roughly 1650.
Verifiably, St Michael's Mount was a Cornish partner of Mont-Saint-Michel in Normandy, France (with which it has the equivalent flowing island qualities and the equivalent conelike shape, however it is a lot littler, at 57 sections of land, than Mont St Michel which covers 247 sections of land), when it was given to the Benedictine strict request of Mont Saint-Michel by Edward the Confessor in the eleventh century.
St Michael's Mount is one of 43 unbridged flowing islands that one can stroll to from territory Britain. Some portion of the island was assigned as a Site of Special Scientific Interest in 1995 for its topography.
The mansion was set up here by Robert, Count of Mortain not long after the Norman Conquest.
From the Conquest until 1270, the rights for the ship from Saltash Passage on the Plymouth side of the River Tamar to Saltash had a place with the Valletort family. When Roger de Valletort sold Trematon Castle and house to Richard Earl of Cornwall, the lease was paid to the Earl's bailiff. In the thirteenth century, this added up to almost seven pounds real.
The Castle has remained the property of the Earls and Dukes of Cornwall without interference since 1270, when Earl Richard got it for £300.
At the point when Sir Francis Drake came back from his circumnavigation journey in 1580, he came into harbor in Plymouth, at that point sneaked out to grapple behind St Nicholas Island until word originated from Queen Elizabeth's Court for the fortunes he had assembled to be put away in Trematon Castle.The crowd comprised of gold, silver, and valuable stones, essentially emeralds, the consequence of theft from Spanish ships along the west bank of South America. Before being moved for capacity in the Tower of London, the fortune was briefly put away in the Golden Hinde.
In 1961 the Duchy of Cornwall publicized the Castle to be let on a full fixing lease for a long time, with breaks, at a lease of £250 a year. It hence turned into the home in Cornwall of Hugh Foot, Lord Caradon, and his child Paul Foot, a battling columnist, invested a portion of his childhood there.
Sovereign Elizabeth II visited the Castle on 25 July 1962 joined by the Lord Lieutenant of Cornwall, Sir Edward Bolitho, before heading to Fowey and setting out in the illustrious yacht Britannia.
Tintagel Castle/tɪnˈtædʒəl/(Cornish: Dintagel) is a medieval stronghold situated on the landmass of Tintagel Island nearby the town of Tintagel (Travena), North Cornwall in the United Kingdom. The site was potentially involved in the Romano-British period, as a variety of relics dating to this period have been found on the promontory, however so far no Roman-time structure has been demonstrated to have existed there. It was settled during the early medieval period, when it was most likely one of the occasional living arrangements of the territorial ruler of Dumnonia. A château was based on the site by Richard, first Earl of Cornwall in the thirteenth century, during the High Middle Ages. It later fell into dilapidation and ruin.
Archeological examination concerning the site started in the nineteenth century as it turned into a vacation destination, with guests coming to see the vestiges of Richard's stronghold. During the 1930s, unearthings uncovered huge hints of an a lot prior high status settlement, which had exchanging joins with the Mediterranean during the Late Roman period.
The stronghold has a long relationship with legends identified with King Arthur. This started in the twelfth century when Geoffrey of Monmouth depicted Tintagel as the spot of Arthur's origination in his fictionalized record of British history, Historia Regum Britanniae. Geoffrey recounted to the story that Arthur's dad, King Uther Pendragon, was camouflaged by Merlin's witchcraft to look like Gorlois, Duke of Cornwall, the spouse of Igraine, Arthur's mother.
Tintagel Castle has been a vacationer goal since the mid-nineteenth century. Claimed by Charles, Prince of Wales as a major aspect of the landholdings of the Duchy of Cornwall, the site is overseen by English Heritage.
St Mawes Castle (Cornish: Kastel Lannvowsedh) is a gunnery stronghold developed by Henry VIII close Falmouth, Cornwall, somewhere in the range of 1540 and 1542. It framed piece of the King's Device program to shield against intrusion from France and the Holy Roman Empire, and protected the Carrick Roads conduit at the mouth of the River Fal. The stronghold was worked under the heading of Thomas Treffry to a clover leaf plan, with a four-story focal pinnacle and three distending, round bastions that framed weapon stages. It was at first outfitted with 19 big guns pieces, expected for use against foe transportation, working in association with its sister mansion of Pendennis on the opposite side of the estuary. During the English Civil War, St Mawes was held by Royalist supporters of King Charles I, however gave up to a Parliamentary armed force in 1646 in the last period of the contention.
The mansion proceeded being used as a fortress through the eighteenth and nineteenth hundreds of years. In the mid 1850s, feelings of trepidation of a new clash with France, joined with changes in military innovation, prompted the redevelopment of the stronghold. The out-dated Henrician manor was transformed into a sleeping quarters and considerable weapon batteries were developed underneath it, outfitted with the most recent maritime gunnery. During the 1880s and 1890s an electronically-worked minefield was laid over the River Fal, worked from St Mawes and Pendennis, and new, snappy discharging firearms were introduced at St Mawes to help these guards. After 1905, in any case, St Mawes' weapons were expelled, and somewhere in the range of 1920 and 1939 it was controlled by the state as a vacation spot.
Brought over into administration in the Second World War, maritime cannons and an enemy of airplane weapon were introduced at the palace to protect against the danger of German assault. With the finish of the war, St Mawes again came back to use as a vacation spot. In the 21st century, the château is worked by English Heritage. The manor has detailed, cut sixteenth century improvements including ocean beasts and figures of deformity, and the antiquarian Paul Pattison has depicted the site as "seemingly the absolute best overcomer of every one of Henry's fortifications".
The house in on a landmass by the River Lynher, from which the name comes, Ince being a type of the Cornish enys ("island"). The principal house may have been worked by the Courtenays in the late fourteenth century. It later came into the ownership of the Killigrews who renovated the house completely. Henry Killigrew, the Royalist MP for West Looe, who adjusted the main house in around 1642, kept four spouses, one in each tower, every obscure to the others, as indicated by tradition.
From the 1840s, the occupants cultivating the land were all from a similar family. Richard Pryn (1774 to 1846) claimed and cultivated Tredown near Ince and in 1841 (as per the statistics) was additionally cultivating Ince. His child, Richard Pryn (1822 to 1858) was unmarried and cultivated Ince with his unmarried sister Anne (1817 to 1889) from 1846 to 1858. The property was known as Ince Barton and was 90 sections of land (360,000 m2) as of now. After Richard's passing from suffocating, his sister Anne was joined by another unmarried sister Mary Ann (1828 to 1910). After Anne's demise in 1889, the occupancy went to her extraordinary nephew, Hannibal Steed (1856 to ?) whose relatives kept on cultivating Ince until the mid twentieth century (1910 or later). The proprietor from 1922 to 1937 was H. R."Bobby" Somerset, whose yacht, Jolie Brise, was a different champ of the Fastnet Race and was kept in the boat shelter at Ince Castle. Ince's next inhabitants were Scottish yachtsman James Bryce Allan (1893-1960) and his better half, stage and quiet screen on-screen character Rita Jolivet.
In 1960 the house was purchased by Patricia, Viscountess Boyd, (little girl of Rupert Guinness, second Earl of Iveagh), spouse of the previous Colonial Secretary, Alan Lennox-Boyd, first Viscount Boyd of Merton.
About this time, the lower floor French windows were introduced to carry all the more light into the house and the administration wing was expanded. A shocking fire in 1988 was trailed by remaking of the rooftop and a subsequent kitchen was included. The current proprietors, the Viscount and Viscountess Boyd of Merton, moved to Ince Castle in 1994. The house and gardens are just every so often open to the general population.
In October 2018 the house was sold for £7 Million (Source land Registry £7,000,030 Oct 31 2018) to a South African.
A stone manor was based on the site of a prior guarded situation from around 1095 to 1125 by Guy de Balliol. Somewhere in the range of 1125 and 1185 his nephew Bernard de Balliol and his child Bernard II expanded the structure.
In 1216 the château was assaulted by Alexander II, King of Scotland. It was as yet held by the Balliol family despite the fact that its possession was contested by the Bishops of Durham. At the point when John Balliol was ousted as King of Scotland in 1296 the château was passed to the Bishop of Durham. Around 1300 Edward I conceded it to the Earl of Warwick. In the fifteenth century the château passed by union with the Neville family. In 1477 during the Wars of the Roses, Richard, Duke of Gloucester (later Richard III) claimed the manor, which got one of his preferred habitations.
Throughout the following two centuries the Nevilles developed and improved the bequest and made a generous and great château. During the Rising of the North, Sir George Bowes shut himself up in the stronghold, where he was blockaded. Following the disappointment of the revolt, Charles Neville, sixth Earl of Westmorland was attainted for his driving job in the Rising of the North and the Neville homes were sequestered. In 1626 the Crown sold the château and furthermore the Neville property at Raby Castle to Sir Henry Vane.
Vane chose to make Raby his vital habitation and Barnard Castle was relinquished and its substance and quite a bit of its brick work was evacuated for the support and improvement of Raby.
The mansion is in the care of English Heritage and is available to the general population. Quite compelling are the remains of the twelfth century tube shaped pinnacle and the fourteenth century Great corridor and Great chamber. It is a Scheduled Ancient Monument, and was assigned as a Grade I recorded structure in 1950. The remaining parts of the medieval house of prayer of St Margaret in the external ward are recorded as Grade II.
Saturday, June 13, 2020
OPENED IN 1873, THIS MENTAL refuge was known for spearheading the utilization of electroencephalograms, or EEGs, an analytic gadget that estimates electrical driving forces along the scalp.
In the long run, World War I and II fighters were treated here too. However the emergency clinic's shame originates from its history of patient maltreatment that included patients being left unattended for extensive stretches of time, being taken care of scraps and being choked to the point of obviousness.
The site keeps on facilitating a medium secure mental unit yet the greater part of the first structures have now been crushed to clear a path for a lodging advancement. The recorded St Johns church and its memorial park remain, the gravestones one of only a handful scarcely any tokens of the historical backdrop of the encompassing area.
Only WEST OF HARTING DOWN is Tower Hill, whereupon is the Vandalian Tower, a habit dating to the eighteenth century which was developed to remember the British province of Vandalia, which immediately vanished under the spread of America.
The pinnacle was initially worked in 1774 to commend the establishing of the American settlement of Vandalia, a proposed British state that never developed past its underlying originators. Because of the American War of Independence, the little settlement was hung out to dry and keeping in mind that they proposed turning into a state by the name of "Westsylvania," the new American government laughed at the thought and the domain was subsumed by the states presently known as West Virginia and Kentucky.
Anyway before this province was eaten by the new mammoth presently known as the United States, back in Britain a stone pinnacle was worked to respect the juvenile settlement. However as one would expect, when the province bombed the pinnacle was immediately surrendered, perhaps out of shame for their too speedy self-salutation.
In the late 1700s, while Emma Hamilton was inhabiting Uppark House and was carrying on her "companionship" with Lord Nelson, she would every now and again take her carriage up to the pinnacle when Nelson was normal back from a journey and utilizing a telescope, watch for his boat showing up in the Solent. She invested such a great amount of energy at the pinnacle that local people named it "Woman Hamilton's Folly," which is the thing that it has been known as from that point forward.
Today, the remaining parts of the pinnacle are as yet remaining in the midst of a congested field in the area of Harting. The vestiges are behind a fence that shields them from further weakening just as shame.
Somewhere down IN THE FAIRYTALE FOREST of the Kennal Vale, the old black powder works that once ruled the territory are gradually being secured by greenery and foliage, making a mystical ruin that watches straight out of a dream film.
Initially started up in 1812, the Kennal Vale Gunpowder Works were spread out across 20 sections of land of woods land. The explosive was predominantly sent to the Cornish mines as opposed to adding to military employments. At its tallness, the manufacturing plant utilized 50 men and was exceptionally effective in spite of an awesome mishap that made five of the creation structures detonate. By the 1880's impacting innovation was proceeding onward to progressively complex synthetic explosives and by the 1910's the works were shut and surrendered.
Today a large number of the thick stone structures despite everything stay in the vale, kept up (however never reestablished) by the Cornwall Wildlife Trust. The structures are gradually being recovered by the damp woodland verdure, transforming dingy modern extras into captivated remains from a truly less-ruinous period.
IN THE EARLY 20TH CENTURY, a progression of tempests truly washed this little English angling town away. All that remaining parts currently are vestiges of anglers' homes. The vacant homes evoke a picture of a former period: You can simply envision comfortable thundering flames in the house's uncovered chimneys, which are obvious on the off chance that you look cautiously down to the town.
The abandoned town of Hallsands is on the Devon coast, confronting the incredible field of Start Bay. In the late 1800s, the neighborhood government chose to dig huge amounts of shingle from the narrows to use in the development of Plymouth's Naval Harbor.
Obviously, what they didn't know was that by expelling shingle from the sound, the shingle sea shore that had shielded the town from tempests and elevated tides for many years would slip into the cove, replacing the separated rock. An enormous tempest in 1917 demonstrated cataclysmic for the town, and what destroyed homes remained have been relinquished from that point onward.
You used to have the option to stroll among the remains, yet it has gotten progressively perilous after some time, and the way to get to Hallsands has itself been washed away. A survey stage has been worked with data boards recounting to the account of how Hallsands was annihilated. From the stage you can see the final house in the town, presently barricaded and abandoned, and out there, demolished cabins.
The monastery was established, harking back to the 1120s by Stephen of Blois, the future lord of England. For around 400 years, Furness Abbey had a place with Cistercian priests, who were a piece of a change development of strict men who thought the Benedictine way of life had gotten excessively sumptuous.
Be that as it may, things being what they are, the nunnery itself would turn out to be fairly luxurious. Throughout the hundreds of years, lords continued expanding the monastery's privileges and its property possessions. The horticultural request, which raised sheep, got well off and incredible in its own right, in the end working like a primitive estate. When Henry VIII had the nunnery disintegrated in 1537, it had become the second most extravagant monastery in England.
The remnants that can be seen today are made of red sandstone and go back to the twelfth and thirteenth hundreds of years. After the nunnery's disintegration, the spot was picked over by burglars in the sixteenth century and savants in later years. As of late, the oak wood in the structure's establishment has been foundering, with makes demonstrating laugh uncontrollably in the dividers.
The work to preserve the dividers turned up an unforeseen revelation—the grave of an abbot, with a jeweled ring and a silver-overlaid crozier improved with a picture of the lead celestial host Michael murdering a mythical beast. The ring, which was huge and most likely implied for a man with tubby fingers, and the crozier are traces of the riches the nunnery once held.
The remaining parts of the convent can in any case be found in the unbelievably named "Vale of Nightshade." notwithstanding treasures like the ones found in the abbot's grave, the site offers "uncommon and striking stone models." It's additionally supposed to be spooky.
Train tracks disappearing into the waters of Lake Tahoe, CA
Aslackby and Laughton is a common parish in the South Kesteven region of Lincolnshire, England. As indicated by the 2001 enumeration the war...